Saturday, August 1, 2015

Across Dreamlands

Let me make a confession: I cannot write a poem to save my life. Nope. I may be brilliant at many things (some of which can be quite useless), but penning poetry is not one of them.

However, I do have friends blessed with the power of poetry. One of them, Lara, just self-published a collection of poems titled "Across Dreamlands". I've gotten my copy since a few days ago but have decided to save it for my weekend reading.

I also sent a copy of "Across Dreamlands" (Lara, if you ever read this, can I just say that your book's title is sooooooooooooooo cool? Hehe) to another poet friend of mine, Ksatriya. I've been horrible at remembering his birthday for the past few years now (it's in October...or November?) so I thought this year I'd get a headstart and send it to him before MY birthday hahaha. 

Anyway, if you're interested in getting a copy of "Across Dreamlands, you can get in touch with the poet herself on Twitter.

Another poet I'd like to mention here is Sara Bareilles. I know, I know..you probably know her as a singer-songwriter, but plenty of her songs are pure poetry.

Case in point: Cassiopeia. Lyrics below:

Come in close now it's time to tell the story
Long ago, and so many years before we
Ever were, ever dreamed we even could be
There was her and her very first heartbeat

All alone in a corner of the night sky
Spiral bones of a supernova starlight
Fell in love with another burning bright
She dreamed of a way to ignite she said

Tonight
Come on, come on collide
Break me to pieces I
I think you're just like heaven
Why, come on, come on collide
Let's see what a fire feels like
I bet it's just like heaven
Just like heaven
Just like heaven

Such a shame nowhere near even a near miss
Light years away from the hope of being sun-kissed
Anchored home in her interstellar sea but
Poor lonely Cassiopeia

So she sighs and she burns with desperation
Learns to cry over love of constellations
Then a spark from a star shooting too close
They both smiled "What a day to explode"
She said

Tonight
Come on, come on collide
Break me to pieces I
I think you're just like heaven
Why, come on, come on collide
Let's see what a fire feels like
I bet it's just like heaven
Just like heaven
Just like heaven

Long ago in a sky built before us
A supernova grew up to be stardust 

I've been on a space-ish kind of mood since Pluto sent us some selfies, so I've been watching Interstellar and Gravity all over again. I've always wanted to go to space, and even wrote "astronaut" on my residential school application form as my ambition. However, Dad erased it and asked me to write something more realistic. If I remember correctly, he said "Malaysia will never send an astronaut, let alone a female one". Twenty years later, his words still ring true (and no, Dr S. is NOT an astronaut).

Maybe one day I'll get to travel across dreamlands, take a selfie with Pluto, and send it to my Dad. 

Now wouldn't that be something?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad 3