Monday, March 16, 2015

Positively A Scientist


                                                                 

I don't believe in blind faith. If I'm supposed to believe in something, or that something exists, then it better comes packaged with irrefutable evidence and facts. 

I know that absence of proof does not mean proof of absence, in which case it is actually an opportunity for us to do more research to find the truth. 

Why am I bringing this up? Well, last night a new friend asked me about religion:

"Are you a Christian?"
"No."
"What about your dad? Is he a Christian?"
"Nope. He's actually not a fan of churches."
"What about your mum? Is she a Christian?"
"Oh yes she is. And she's REALLY religious."
"Then that makes you a Christian too."

Wait what? o_O

Last time I checked, Christianity was not included in my inheritance (actually, I have no inheritance. My parents aren't exactly the Vanderbilts of Borneo, but you get what I mean, no?).

I'm not an atheist. After years of soul-searching and tonnes of Catholic guilt, I've decided that I'm just an agnostic. What that means is that I can't tell you that God exists or not, because hey, I don't know. 

Sometimes it seems ridiculous how some people like to out-religion each other. I won't mention examples here, but you can find them anywhere..except maybe not much in Sarawak and Sabah (because we're peace-loving hippie islanders bahahaha).

Rather than argue about who is more religious amongst us, it would be better to be the best person you can be, to be as kind as possible to everyone who crosses your path, and to value all the good things in your life, while learning from the terrible ones.......and not because you think that there are heavenly rewards waiting for you, but because these are the decent things to do. Being positive has also been scientifically proven to help you build skills, boost your health, and also improve your work performance.

Why don't we all do that instead, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad 3