Sunday, January 11, 2015

What a Hell of a Year! :)

Hello, 2015.

I was relieved to finally get 2014 over and done with. It has been a year of many shocks and surprises, with plenty of growth filtering in through the cracks after the pressure is gone.

The not-so-good:
  1. For the first time in my life I did not have stable employment.
  2. Obi, an abandoned dog that my friend Cyn adopted from our old office, died in February.
  3.  Snoopy, the dog I adopted from a friend in 2008 died in early April. Cried for weeks. He was like a child to me. 
  4. My grandmother had a terrible stroke in late April.
  5. I injured my knee while lifting my grandmother in the hospital (guess I wasn't as strong as I thought I was hahaha).
  6. Had to limp for almost a month. Also swore off stairs.
  7. Had the worst job interview in human history with a Japanese company director (my friends had no sympathy; they found it comedy gold instead hahaha).
  8. Had a tenant from hell who only paid outstanding rent and utilities after my lawyer sent a letter.
  9. Had to shut down our company when my friend and partner decided to pursue another opportunity.
  10. Had to leave my beloved apartment and PJ to move for a new job.
  11. Was so homesick the first month I was in KK.
  12. Missing Unifi, my friends and old haunts in PJ (hello, dearest darling IKEA! Oh how I've missed you!).



 The good:
  1. Quit a draining job. I was losing sleep, weight and even hair!
  2. Because I was "unemployed", I could come home to see my family for the first time in almost a year.
  3. Became a freelance writer, a long-life dream finally realised.
  4. Started a company with my best friend; it was good while it lasted.
  5. Learned how to sew using the sewing machine.
  6. Became a part-time tailor after learning how to sew.
  7. Tailored my own four-panel floor-length heavy brocade curtains. Woot!
  8. Sewed a green toga from scratch for a company dinner.
  9. Got hired for the job of a lifetime: doing communications for a global non-profit.
  10. Moved across the South China Sea for the new job with almost nothing in my pockets and without a home too. #crazy
  11. Stayed at a backpackers' hostel for the first time while looking at houses in KK.
  12. Started working out again after getting clearance from my doc for the stupid knee.
  13. Trained self to like oatmeal for breakfast (it tastes better cooked than kept overnight in fridge).
  14. Trained self to eat HUGE salads for lunch almost every day.
  15. Hosted a junk-food-free Christmas for the family.

I was also single for most of the year but I can't say that it's a good or a bad thing hahaha. I did feel lonely sometimes but it's better to be single than be in a relationship that doesn't make you happy, no?

So what's next for 2015?

1. Fix my finances
My finances got derailed because I was unemployed for four months last year. I aim to pay off my credit card debt this year and sell off my house in Kuching

2. Run!
I want to clock at least 10 mins/km this year. Still contemplating running in the 10km run at Borneo International Marathon because I have a work trip that ends a day before the run. 

Before Christmas derailed me (excuses!) I was actually training three times a week. Now I want to do six, because I don't think I am pushing my body enough. 

3. Me, myself, and the Island of the Gods
An overdue solo trip! Looking forward to a week of culinary delights, sescapes, drinks at sundown, and also arts and crafts.

4. Get ready to go to school
I'd like to get my Master's degree (finally eh?) sometime in 2017 via a scholarship. 

Just four goals this year, which perhaps is a tad unambitious compared to the year I turned 30, when I had 30 goals (and actually achieved 18, I think).

I hope 2015 will be kinder to all of us :)


The Geek Goddess


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad 3